The name ‘Waterboyz for Jesus’ grew out of a God prompting during a weekly men’s group to start a God fund. We didn’t have anything in mind except throwing our scraps into a hat each week and waiting to see what God would do with it. The day our fund reached a $100 I received an email from a lady whose dad lives in South Africa asking for a $100 to run some water pipes to a small village about a mile from the water source. We of course heard God’s voice and were obedient. The next week we read John 4 and heard God saying that He did indeed have rivers of living water that we didn’t know about. From there this ‘God-fund’ of scraps (something we give up in order to contribute – make our own coffee; wash our own cars; etc) has funded dozens of micro-businesses all over the world, bought hundreds of shoes for barefoot Hondurans, built an orphanage in India for 150 kids, purchased water coolers for fifteen orphanages in India, as well as funding dozens of local service projects for the single moms, the elderly, and those who live at the ‘margins’ of our society here in our community. So a huge part of our DNA has grown out of Isaiah 58 and following God’s heart to serve the oppressed, the poor, and the forgotten. It is amazing what God can do with our SCRAPS, and together we are changing the world!
As a result there is an ever-growing number of Men’s tables just like the first one, that are weekly making small sacrifices in their daily live to create additional SCRAPS. God is honoring these Men’s sacrifices and using these SCRAPs to change the world. It may seem like such a small thing for us, but in God’s hands everything is possible.
Working with men from all different paths of life caused me to realize that many haven’t been taught how to be men of God. Our fathers were either so busy building careers or in many cases just gone – left – or even worse abusive and condemning that men were spiritually dying for lack of being taught. So out of this ‘holy discontent’ the vision of the Waterboyz was birthed “We want to help ordinary men be transformed into mighty warriors for the Kingdom”. We realize that if we don’t have a daily relationship with Jesus Christ no matter what ‘good deeds’ we may be a part of, at the end of the day there won’t be transformation. So we challenge each other with a:
- 6+1 starting point in Bible study, prayer, and listening for God to speak a new word daily into our lives.
- From there we ask that God will bring an opportunity sometime during the day to speak His name into someone or serve someone in His name
- We agree that it is so easy to drift that we make the choice of showing up for one hour a week at a 10MEN table to study the Word, memorize scripture, pray for each other, take the mask off and share where the battle rages, and learn to trust each other enough to be held accountable for opening ourselves up for God-transformation (Rom 12:2)
- Once a month we inconveniently go to the margins of society and serve for a few hours as a way of taking the focus off us and lifting our eyes and looking into the eyes of a Savior who loved us so much HE inconveniently served by dying for us
- Annually we have a 100MAN choir to do spiritual warfare in our communities, churches, and families
- Each Fall and Spring we have a weekend ADVANCE to sharpen our swords and challenge it other to deeds of bravery and valor for the King.
I can already tell you that there are strongholds of the enemy that might be standing in your way. For too long we have allowed our marriages to be mediocre. Our wives will either half our ministry or double them. If it ain’t working at home then we shouldn’t export it. For many of us our finances are so ‘jacked up’ that we can hardly breathe. Every time a bill shows up we feel like trapped animals. The toll of stress steals our energy, our hope and joy.
Finally too often we men hand over our purity – we allow Satan to poke our eyes out and cut our hair – just like he did with Samson centuries ago. Three pillars of this movement will be Strong marriages, Debt free living, and purity. We will provide resources and prayer covering. He who is with us is greater than he who is in the world!! We believe that!!
The feeding of the five thousand has taught us a very important lesson – Jesus ran out of people to feed. He didn’t run out of food. Taste and see – HE IS GOOD! So come and join us!
A good friend of mine, David Lyons told me something new about the legacy of the Waterboyz. He told me that in North American Indian culture the water carriers were held in high esteem. The tribe knew that without water they would die. Max Depree who is the chairman of the board of Herman Miller Furniture in writing about this says, “The water carriers of an institution communicate and exemplify the ties that bind the institution together.” In other words – the water carriers are the life blood of the Body. Without the life blood the body is dead.
The following is read on Rosh Hashanah. “When the fulfillment of Rosh Hashana (The great day of judgment) comes then all of us must stand together, all souls have to present themselves before God your God, and they have to do it all of them together as one person, all of them equal; from the heads of the tribes to the water carriers and the wood choppers, all of them equally. From the highest level to the lowest level, all of them as one, not only do they tolerate each other, not only do the heads of the tribes tolerate the water carriers, and the water carriers tolerate the heads of the tribes, but more than that, they complete each other, and they receive from each other, so that you can’t have one without the other. Just as the head and foot of a human body, they not only tolerate each other but they actually complete each other”. Sound familiar – 1 Corinthians 12 familiar?
The Waterboyz for Jesus is an independent ministry which views each man, no matter what church, denomination, or creed he might belong to as belonging to the one true body. If any man who is bending his knee and calling Jesus Lord and Savior he is part of the same church as the rest of us are – PRAISE GOD. We are excited that churches are beginning to embrace the Waterboyz for Jesus as their men’s ministry. We believe that the local church is the hope of the world. But we are tired of the separation and distrust that is so much a part of our culture. We are determined to unite under the one blood stained banner of Jesus and advance the Kingdom by attacking the gates of hell.
Let’s each of us be water carriers – The Waterboyz for Jesus – let’s be the least in the Kingdom – you remember the promise about the least? This occurred to me – What is the requirement to becoming the least? – there are NONE – we ALL can be the least. Let’s complete the body in a way only we can. What do you say? I say “YES LORD – THANK YOU LORD”
Our vision is to help ordinary men become transformed into mighty warriors for the Kingdom
Each of us finds ourselves trying to cover so many bases. Work demands, family demands, something is broke and needs fixing, there is the list of projects that your wife wants you to do, everybody wants more of you than there is to go around. You really mean to pursue a relationship with God, you have this nagging feeling in your soul that something huge is missing. But how in the world can you do one more thing? The rat race produces ordinary men. How can I become a man of God? Where can I find the time?
The Waterboyz for Jesus have made a discovery! If you can give us 7 minutes a day, 1 hour a week, and 2 hoursa month we can help you experience a transformation that will change everything. You will become a better husband, a better father, a more productive worker, and most importantly a difference maker in the Kingdom. The truth of each of our stories is that we always find the time to do what we really want to do, don’t we? If you are serious about giving God a chance to change your life – give us four weeks – give it a try – what have you got to lose?
Our Core Values
- Jesus Christ is the hope of the world and the local church is the best vehicle for telling a lost and dying world about this hope. With this in mind we see our ministry as a resourcing of the local church
- Resources that belong to the local church should go to the local church (tithes/offerings). Our ministry is funded by calling men to a life of sacrificial giving beyond what they give to their local church (SCRAPS; Matt 15:27).
- We look for faith-based partnerships viewing them as a resource rather than a threat
- We value relationships more than we value activity
- Prayer is foundational to building God's Kingdom (Isa 56:7; Mark 11:17)
- Men are the key to restoring the family, the church, the country, and the world—we will do everything possible to support men in their roles as husbands and fathers
- With God's help, we will move men from seekers to disciple makers as we build a biblical world view together
- Our ministry's strength is in our 10 Man Tables ( with Jesus at the center of each)
- We are called to serve at the margins (see Matt 25 & Isaiah 58)
6 + 1 and Beyond -
Are you ready for a journey with the living Christ?
The daily challenge of the "6 + 1" and Beyond will take you to places you have never been before. 7 minutes a day that will change your life forever!
The Daily Challenge (6+1 and Beyond)
- The instant you wake up – mentally and verbally dethrone yourself and enthrone Jesus Christ as Lord & Savior. (If you need some help – when you go to the bathroom. Let this be your reminder if you haven’t dethroned yourself?)
- To begin your journey - Go to that “special place” in your home where you meet with God each morning
- Pick one of the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) to read
- Read for 3 minutes
- As you read, ask yourself these three questions
- What did Jesus say?
- What did Jesus do?
- How will what I just read apply to my life today?
- Now take 2 minutes to Pray in whatever way you do – needs, requests, intercessions
- Now Listen to what God might say to you - 1 minute.
You have just spent 6 minutes on a journey with Jesus!
- Hold on for one more minute (no pun intended). Make a commitment to God to give Him one minute today to speak God into someone that He brings into your life (They may already believe; not believe at all; or not know what to believe).
- Do this everyday as you continue through the Gospel. Then go onto the next Gospel. You will be amazed at where Jesus takes you and what you will see together.
Hold on tight! The journey has just begun!
Question and Answer Time:
- Read through the Gospels again using the 6 + 1
- This time instead of noting what Jesus said and did, write down any questions that Jesus asked and the answer
- Do this for all four gospels.
Only the Facts
- Read through the Gospels again using the 6 + 1
- This time write down every time Jesus makes a statement
- Do this for all four Gospels.
- Read through the Gospels again using the 6 + 1
- This time write down every time Jesus takes a trip
- Where did He go? Why did He go there? Who did He see?
- Do this for all four Gospels.
- Read for 3 minutes
- Take 2 minutes to Pray
- Be still and Listen for 1 minute
- Make a commitment to God to give Him one minute today to speak God into someone that He brings into your life.
Romans 12:2 “Do not be conformed any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed, by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will”.
Waterboyz for JESUS Story
Working with men from all different paths of life caused me to realize that many hadn’t been taught how to be men of God. Our fathers were either so busy building careers or in many cases just gone – left – or even worse abusive and condemning that men were spiritually dying for lack of being taught. So out of this ‘holy discontent’ the vision of the Waterboyz was birthed “We want to help ordinary men be transformed into mighty warriors for the Kingdom”.
The name ‘Waterboyz for Jesus’ grew out of a God prompting during a weekly men’s group to start a God fund. We didn’t have anything in mind except throwing our scraps into a hat each week and waiting to see what God would do with it. The day our fund reached a $100 I received an email from a lady whose dad lives in South Africa asking for a $100 to run some water pipes to a small village about a mile from the water source. We of course heard God’s voice and were obedient. The next week we read John 4 and heard God saying that He did indeed have rivers of living water that we didn’t know about. From there this ‘God-fund’ of scraps (something we give up in order to contribute – make our own coffee; wash our own cars; etc) has funded dozens of micro-businesses all over the world, bought hundreds of shoes for barefoot Hondurans, purchased water coolers in India, as well as funding dozens of local service projects for the single moms, the elderly, and those who live at the ‘margins’ of our society here in our community. So a huge part of our DNA has grown out of Isaiah 58 and following God’s heart to serve the oppressed, the poor, and the forgotten.
In addition to serving others our vision gets really practical by challenging men to accept the 6+1 challenge. Pursuing a daily relationship with God is our non-negotiable starting point. If a man isn’t willing to invest time with Jesus then nothing else matters. Games up!
Once a man decides to begin the adventure we realize that God calls us into community – true community as a way of providing us with support, accountability, and sometimes a spiritual kick in the pants. Our 10MEN tables follow a very simple format that calls the men to a deeper relationship with Jesus. Each table lasts for only one hour. It starts on time and ends on time – men don’t like being held hostage. When a table has more than 10 MEN we divide into another table. This keeps it small enough for each man to matter and build an atmosphere of trust and vulnerability. We start by praying together. Then we make an announcement about upcoming service projects, fellowship opportunities, Yeah God’s, and prayer requests. We SOAP a chapter in the book of the bible we are currently working our way through. SOAP is an acronym for S = Letting God speak a verse to you as the chapter is read out loud and writing it down. O = observation, as you thought about this verse what did God bring to your mind? A = application, how can you turn this into a ‘Monday useable’ step? Where can you apply this in your life? P = prayer, write out a prayer sealing the deal with God, or asking God to do an inside-out job on your heart to shape your will into alignment with His will. With our minds set on God the table leader asks a question that God has prompted them with, which allows the men to confess, seek counsel, or just share their struggles. This question always either starts at the cross or ends at the cross. Then we close the meeting by drawing a phone number and making a commitment to that man to pray for him during the week and to call him at least once to ask him how his week is going and to pray with him. We have a pray to close and then the men throw their ‘scraps’ into a pile for the table treasurer to collect. These ‘scraps’ fund our service and mission projects (we are currently helping to build an orphanage in India).
On the third Saturday of every month we go serve someone in our community (God always shows us the next project) for a few hours. We gather, read a little bit of scripture, and then eat some donuts, drink some coffee, and become the hands and feet of Jesus too someone in need. We see Jesus clearly in each other and in those we serve. Our faith is strengthened we love Jesus more deeply and we love each other as a band of brothers.
Once a year we have a men’s choir (100MEN singing on Father’s day about our intention to speak to the nations about who Jesus is), and a men’s retreat where we spend a weekend pressing hard into God’s heart, mind, and will. This is our vision. There is nothing new under the sun but seeking the SON with all our heart’s has created an awe and wonder that you have to experience to fully understand. Come and join us!
How to Become One of the Waterboyz
The Waterboyz for Jesus are a multi-church men’s ministry that see themselves as a resource to the local church. Our desire is to “help ordinary men become transformed in mighty warriors in the Kingdom” while fully engaging in their local church.
The cost of this transformation is 7 minutes a day; 1 hour a week; 4 hours a month; and 2 weekends a year. I can guarantee that a year from now if any man makes this kind of investment in relationship with Jesus he will NOT be the same man! Daily Relationship with Jesus; Engaging in the community of believers by holding other men’s stories; Serving outside ourselves as a result of a growing response to being radically loved; Going on a 24 hour ADVANCE together once a year; Forming an annual 200MAN Choir where we in our weakness will allow God to show His all surpassing strength as we declare to our families, our churches, and our communities that we are ‘all in’ for Jesus.
What would a Waterboyz look like?
When a Waterboyz hears that a man will be walking out of prison after 30 years of being locked up, he would show up with his friends to celebration freedom with him.
When a Waterboyz hears that there will be a memorial service for a man who spent the majority of his life in jail and in addiction but who at the end of his life accepted the free gift of salvation will drive to Dundalk to serve as a living testimony to the transformational power of Jesus Christ.
A Waterboyz will always take the first step toward reconciliation, with his wife and family, in his church, and in the community he lives in. When he hears about St James AME needing help, or Mt Zion-Warren, or most recently Sunnyside New Life he will show up with his family to build new bridges and dig more ditches for Jesus.
A Waterboyz will hate injustice and practice pure religion by serving the orphan and widow. His serving will be done in a way that will bring glory to God and not himself.
A Waterboyz will resist the urge to isolate and will choose to press into community knowing that God Himself lives in community and desires the same for us.
A Waterboyz will be Kingdom minded, seeing himself and his local church as part of a larger picture. He will see other Kingdom builders as a partner not competition.
Wife – Son – Daughter – Work Place
Essential elements of the Golden hour
- Start and Stop on time. Men will not come to something that begins haphazardly and drifts to an end!
- Don’t let the opening prayer become a formality. Open your spirit up to God and let Him direct you. Sometimes He will make it clear which man should pray the group in. Other times He will give you a prompting like every other man, or have men partner up and pray together. Keep this focused. Try to keep this to 5 minutes or so.
- Make the announcements and when appropriate ask for commitments. If we have a serving opportunity ask for a sign-up. Keep this tight and focused. This piece should only take 2-3 minutes.
- Covering the memory verse is CRITICAL!! As the leader be sure to know the memory verse – lead by example. If God showed you something in your life out of the memory verse during the week, share it. Be vulnerable and honest. We aren’t in the business of guilt but talk about how this is developing the mind of God and understanding the will of God by placing His words in our hearts.
- SOAP the assigned chapter – CRITICAL!! SOAPing gives us a tool to allow reading the bible to become interactive. It becomes the living word. It also teaches the men how to Journal as a way of helping each of us listen better to what God is saying.
- Have a Spirit-filled God-question ready. CRITICAL During the week listen for the question. Don’t stop listening even during the 10MAN meeting. Explain that this is biblical (James 5:16). That the intent is to allow the Light into our lives, to enable us to pray specifically for each other, and that we are drawn to each other’s weaknesses. In other words being open and transparent creates deep community.
- Have each man write his name and phone number on a slip of paper. Explain that, living the life we each in our heart of hearts desires to live is easier if we do life together. Challenge each man to take the responsibility of making this call – to pray together, to ask an accountability question, and to encourage each other. Remind them to be sensitive to the other person’s situation. Ask him if this is a good time. Keep this phone call to 5 minutes unless both of you are able and willing to talk at a deeper level.
- Make sure you pray out. Again, let this be an opportunity for the Spirit to stir the ‘how’ in you. Don’t let this become a formality.
- Remind the men about the SCRAPS. Every few weeks explain what SCRAPS are; give some examples of what you are sacrificing to support this. Explain that together with little sacrifices we can have a major Kingdom impact. While we can dig into our pockets and throw a few dollars into the pot, there is a deeper blessing if we choose to sacrifice.
- MAKE SURE YOU DISMISS ON TIME! Keep your commitment by dismissing on time. One last reminder – you can only share with others the life you yourself are living. Remember Romans 12:8 and lead diligently. Remember 1 Timothy 3:13 – if you serve well you will gain an excellent standing and great assurance in your faith in Jesus Christ. Be ready for the adventure of a lifetime!
EVERY POTENTIAL NEW LEADER MUST KNOW THE ADMINISTRATIVE, BOOKKEEPING AND WEEKLY REPORTING REQUIREMENTS FOR EACH TABLE. FOR TWO (2) REASONS:
- SO THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE SIGNING UP FOR.
- SO THEY CAN START TO IDENTIFY THEIR SCRIBES LONG BEFORE THEY ACCEPT LEADING A TABLE AND/OR MULTIPLYING A NEW TABLE
What would a successful Men’s Ministry in a local church look like?
- Men would be praying as naturally as they breathe, as they live their lives in an attitude of constant relationship with the King.
- Studying the Word of God for the purpose of building relationship with Jesus would be a felt need. There would be a hunger for more!
- Men would be mentoring men as they are being mentored by men
- The men would be fathering their children well and loving their wives as Jesus loved His church
- Discipleship would be taking place (men would intentionally be moving from seeker to disciplemaker)
- There would be an environment of accountability within the context of true community
- Women would be emerging in positions of leadership in the security of being well lead by their husbands
- Life transformation would be expected
- Discussion and advocacy for justice would be a shared value
- Serving would be happening at the margins in a relationship and Kingdom building way
- Evangelism would be an intentional part of the collective conversation with every man being able to effectively use scripture to lead a lost person into an understanding and embrace of the gift of salvation.
- Men wouldn't be 'absent' nor would they be 'controlling'
- Men would be enjoying each other's company and having fun....looking forward to seeing each other because of foundational relationship and deep community
- You would see men worshipping God with their whole being.
- First fruits joyful giving would be the norm fueling vibrant ministry to the Body and the lost.
- You would see men engaged everywhere – first contact; children’s ministry; worship teams – all the time 24/7
- You would feel the heat of passion, purpose, of God’s pleasure as men burn hot with vision
Waterboyz Accountability Questions:
- Have you found yourself in a compromising situation with a woman who isn’t your wife?
- Have you viewed anything that could be termed sexually explicit?
- Have you given priority to your family?
- Have you spent adequate time in the bible and prayer this week?
- Have you had any financial dealings that lacked integrity?
- Have you lied, cheated or harmed anyone with gossip?
- Have you LIED about anything I just asked you?